Baghdad, May 24 (IANS) The Iraqi Counter-Terrorism Service (CTS) said on Sunday that three of its members were killed and four others wounded by an explosive device left by the Islamic State (IS) militant group in the northern province of Nineveh.
The incident occurred when an explosive device detonated while they were performing national duties in the desert area, according to a CTS statement, Xinhua news agency reported.
Despite the casualties, the service emphasised that it will continue pursuing the remnants of terrorism and protecting the security and stability of Iraq, according to the statement.
Meanwhile, four Islamic State (IS) militants were killed in aerial and ground operations in northern Iraq’s Kirkuk province, the Iraqi military said Saturday.
Iraqi F-16 fighter jets carried out two airstrikes on an IS hideout in the Wadi al-Shay area, killing three militants and destroying their position, as per a statement by the Iraqi Joint Operations Command’s Security Media Cell.
Following the airstrikes, an Iraqi army unit conducted a search operation in the area, during which they spotted and killed the fourth IS militant, it added.
While Iraq declared victory over IS in 2017, the group’s remnants continue to carry out attacks against security forces and civilians in cities, deserts, and remote areas. Authorities have since intensified aerial and ground campaigns against suspected IS militants.
Earlier this month, three IS militants were killed in airstrikes targeting their hideouts in the northern Iraqi province of Kirkuk, the Iraqi military said.
According to a statement by the Iraqi Joint Operations Command’s Security Media Cell, the Iraqi air force carried out two “successful airstrikes” at 3:50 pm local time (1250 GMT) in the Hamrin mountain range.
The operation was based on “accurate intelligence” from the Military Intelligence Directorate, resulting in the destruction of two IS hideouts and the killing of three “terrorists,” the statement said.
–IANS
ksk/vd



