Bengaluru, Aug 17 (IANS) The alleged irregularities in the Karnataka Maharshi Valmiki Scheduled Tribes Development Corporation once again triggered a political confrontation during the ongoing monsoon session of the state legislature, with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Janata Dal (United) (JD‑U) demanding the removal of Minister B. Nagendra from the Cabinet.
The issue led to heated exchanges and protests in the Legislative Council, where BJP members raised slogans demanding Nagendra’s resignation at the very beginning of Question Hour. Opposition members insisted that proceedings should not continue until the minister stepped down.
The matter also echoed in the Legislative Assembly, where Leader of the Opposition R. Ashoka and other BJP leaders demanded Nagendra’s removal. As Minister for Higher Education Basavaraj Rayareddy was speaking in the Council, BJP members shouted “resignation first, proceedings later,” creating a brief commotion.
Responding to the opposition’s demand, Minister for Health, Family Welfare, Waqf and Minority Welfare U.T. Khader referred to the court’s verdict in the case. It questioned whether the opposition considered itself above the judiciary.
Legislative Council Opposition Leader Chalavadi Narayanaswamy said Nagendra had not received a clean chit and alleged that the matter was still before the court. Minister Priyank Kharge countered, saying Nagendra had been given a clean chit in the CID investigation and was not a convicted accused but a person facing allegations.
Apart from protests inside the legislature, the BJP staged demonstrations at several district headquarters, including Ballari, Mysuru, Tumakuru and Ramanagara, demanding Nagendra’s removal.
Narayanaswamy alleged that Rs 187 crore had been siphoned off from the Valmiki Corporation and questioned the decision to induct Nagendra back into the Cabinet. He warned that the BJP would intensify its agitation both inside and outside the legislature until Nagendra resigned.
Meanwhile, BJP MLC C.T. Ravi alleged that the scam involved the Congress party and its high command and demanded Nagendra’s immediate dismissal.
Speaking to reporters at Vidhana Soudha, Ravi said the government had admitted in its reply to his question that Rs 89.62 crore had been transferred to various bank accounts.
He said police had registered cases against 14 people, including Nagendra and the then Managing Director of the corporation.
Ravi referred to the statement of the 13th accused, Satyanarayana Verma, before the court, alleging that Verma had claimed he faced threats to his life from Nagendra and his associates. He further alleged that the Special Investigation Team (SIT) appointed by the government had established misuse of funds, although the complete charge sheet had not yet been filed.
“Why was the same person brought back into the Cabinet when corruption allegations were pending against him?” Ravi asked.
He alleged that misappropriated money had been used during the Telangana elections, the Kalaburagi election involving Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge’s son‑in‑law, and the Ballari Lok Sabha election. He also claimed the money had reached liquor shops, jewellery stores and car showrooms.
Ravi alleged that Nagendra had been made a minister again on the condition that he would not reveal the names of senior leaders. He said the BJP would continue its fight until the “corrupt minister” was removed.
He also alleged that the entire amount had not yet been recovered and referred to a meeting allegedly held between accused Nekkunthi Nagaraj and Nagendra at a hotel. Ravi said he had earlier released photographs related to the meeting and alleged that officials had been given oral instructions to cooperate.
Ravi further referred to the death by suicide of officer Chandrashekar, alleging that his family had yet to receive provident fund benefits.
He accused the Congress government of protecting those responsible for corruption and claimed the investigation had indicated that fake beneficiaries could have been created had Chandrashekar not died.
He alleged that similar misuse could have taken place in the Gruha Lakshmi scheme and other development corporations and demanded a wider investigation.
–IANS
mka/dan



